Tracking down an error in PHP code often requires knowledge about how the function is being called. In cases such as this a stack trace is often useful to show the call stack. PHP has a function debug_backtrace() that I have found useful in displaying the call stack. But it seems to use a lot of resources. So I wanted to quantify this and try a new approach that I have been using lately. I used something in Drupal 8 that I was debugging. Results will differ greatly depending on the case but the overall trends should be similar. I used
Running the code with just this statement resulted in 7.56 MB of memory used. Then I added just before this statement the statement
kint() is part of the Devel project. The memory usage jumped to 21.96 MB. Then I replaced this with
$e = new \Exception; kint($e->getTraceAsString());
The memory usage for this approach is 7.70 MB. The output is also simpler and easier to read although debug_backtrace()provides much more information about the arguments being passed.